Monday 4 February 2008

The world's most famous geek


I am new to blogging, so I had no idea what to write about. I started to do some research. I looked at other blogs, general news, checked the BBC, and flipped through some newspapers – still nothing I really wanted to comment on. Having been in PR for almost 4 years now I read, research, look at angles and brainstorm… to come up with ideas, even if it is “only” for a blog! Everything needs to be properly prepared, have the right angle and the right reference… What a geek I thought to myself. Geek! That’s it, let’s talk about geeks.

What are geeks? My own definition of a geek might be my colleague who gets more excited about a new phone being released than about the sales at Selfridges. Or it could be someone with more gadgets than books. Or whoever spends more than 12 hours a day on a computer could be a geek.

The word geek used to have quite a negative connotation, referring to peculiar or odd people. Is this still the case? Not at all anymore. Defined by Wikipedia, a geek is a person who is interested in technology, especially computing and new media or it is someone who is more devoted to something than others – and who has a great amount of knowledge in this area.

If Bill Gates buys Yahoo he may soon be named “the world’s most famous geek” according to The Guardian. So if someone calls you a geek – be proud!

No comments: