Thursday 25 October 2007

Last Ring Tones of Phone Box Recorded Online

A sneaky look at my neighbour's plans for a conservatory opened my eyes to how much more information UK councils are putting online. Full PDFs of planning applications are now available online. Only drawback is web site performance which can be pitifully slow and crashed my laptop twice - but anything is better than actually visiting a council office.

Having found my neighbours plans (perfectly sound by the way) I noticed that many of the other planning notices are for the removal of the BT telephone boxes. Seems phone boxes are being converted into illuminated signs. So, looks like the mobile is finally killing off a British street corner icon. Finland has already declared the public payphone extinct. And now the last rites of the UK payphone are being recorded online. Could the pillar box be far behind ....?

No comments: